Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Preschool - Too Early at Two? Too Late at Three?

The girls just turned one and now I have to start thinking about pre-school. They can't even say mama or use a toilet and I am looking at programs for them. It's overwhelming. Oh, and did I mention? It's really expensive!

We are talking in the thousands of dollars range, depending on how many days. I looked at one tuition for the preschool that was recommended down the street and there is a waiting list already for next year.

I asked around, including polling two preschool teachers on my street, whether it's better to begin preschool at age two or three and the majority said three. Part of the problem is that my girls have a summer birthday so they would be a young two by the start of the school year. Who knows how potty training will go and they are hanging on my legs 24/7 as it is, so how will mommy leave for an hour to gulp down a Starbucks and return for pick-up?

In the meantime, we will continue at Little Gym and the Y for swimming and also look into Stepping Stones and New Canaan Nature Center, as well as more playgroups and activities at local libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment